Looking for an easy way to improve the health of your teeth and gums? Start with your diet! The foods we eat have a major impact on the long-term health of our teeth, gums, and entire bodies. Here are a few everyday foods you can incorporate into your diet to improve tooth and gum health:
- Citrus Fruits: Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, and other citrus fruits are high in Vitamin C, which protects teeth from decay and gums from gingivitis.
- Carrots, Celery, and other Crunchy Veggies: Celery and carrots are both crunchy and high in water content, and in practice, this makes them act almost like a natural “brush” for your teeth. The veggies naturally scrape away plaque and bacteria and stimulate blood flow to the gums, leaving your whole mouth healthier.
- Low-Fat Cheese & Yogurt: Low-fat dairy is packed with calcium, a critical mineral that boosts tooth health.
- Onions: Onions have antimicrobial properties which help them neutralize oral bacteria. While they may leave your breath smelling pungent, they’ll leave your mouth healthy and less vulnerable to dental decay!
- Shiitake Mushrooms: Shiitake mushrooms contain lentinan, an antibacterial compound that helps to control bacterial populations that cause plaque. Toss shiitake mushrooms into sautes, salad, and other dishes for a dental health-boosting kick!
Visit Your Cottonwood, AZ Dentists Today
We hope you found this list helpful, and we encourage you to try some of these health-boosting foods in your next meal. And if you’re looking to further improve your dental health, Arizona Smile Designers can help. As a leading dental practice serving patients of all ages throughout Cottonwood and greater Phoenix, we’re proud to offer a wide range of dental treatments including general, restorative, and cosmetic dental procedures. Book a consultation today – we can’t wait to hear from you, and we look forward to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams!